Many Hotels, Resorts and Ski Resorts
offer playgrounds for children. This is a great
place for children to get some exercise and hang around
with their peers as part of a
These playground safety tips are not
just for when you are on holiday with your children, but
should be kept in mind year round.
The following is a Safety checklist for parents from the
National Safety Council
Checklist for Playground Safety
- Surfaces around playground equipment should be filled with at least 12
inches of loose fill, such as wood chips, mulch, sand or pea gravel.
- Most stationary equipment should have at least a 6-foot use zone in all
- Any openings that can trap children (in guardrails or between ladder
rungs) should be less than 3½ inches apart or more than 9 inches.
- Guardrails should surround all elevated platforms and should be at least
29 inches high for preschool-age children and 38 inches high for
- Look for exposed concrete footings, tree roots or rocks that could trip
- Check for sharp edges and dangerous hardware, like open "S"
hooks or protruding bolts.
- Make sure your child plays on age-appropriate equipment.
- Playgrounds should be maintained regularly. Report any problems.
- Remove hoods or drawstrings that can get caught on equipment.
- Supervise children while they play.
All tips are offered as suggestions only.
While we have tried to provide you with a list of
suggestions to help parents when travelling with children
to keep them safe, unfortunately, we can’t think of
everything and it is the responsibility of parents to
ensure their children’s safety.
Dangers of Bike Helmet on Playgrounds - Safety News.
First Aid Safety Tips from St. John's Ambulance - Dangers of Spring Rivers
Keep the Bugs at Bay, Eight Tips for a Bug Free Summer
See the following sections for specific tips:
For General Travel Safety Tips Click
For Car Safety Tips Click on
For Hotel Safety Tips Click on
For Safety Tips when visiting Petting
Zoos and Animal Farms Click Below:
For Safety Tips on Walking with Children Click Below:
For Fire Safety Tips Click on
For Biking Safety Tips Click on
For First Aid Tips about Insect Stings
For Winter Holiday Safety Tips
For Pool and Beach Safety Tips Click
For Kids Club Safety Tips Click on
For Sun Safety Tips Click on
For First Aid Tips Click on
For Safety Tips for Using Public Washrooms Click on
For In-line Skating Safety Tips Click on
For Safety Tips - Severe Allergic
Reactions Click on
For Tips on Buying Safe Toys Click
For Seasonal Holiday
Safety Tips Click Below:
You may also want to check out
News - Safety Issues
Click below to return to Travel Safety Tips