Many Cottage Style Resorts offer Families the use of Barbecues
as a convenient means of cooking meals during a summer Vacation.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a press
release regarding the safe use of Propane Tank Style Barbecues and
Charcoal Grills which includes tips on using these grills.
Resorts and Hotels offering barbecues for use by guests should
consider posting the guidelines for safe use in Cottage units or
where Hotel guests have access to barbecues.
Tanks and barbecues should also be inspected regularly
following manufacturer's instructions to ensure the units are safe
New, Safer Propane Tank for Barbecue Grills Helps to Avoid Gas
Leaks - Device Expected to Prevent Many of the 600
Fires/Explosions Each Year
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
wants consumers to know that as of April 1, 2002, all propane gas
tanks sold to consumers for barbecue grills must have a new safety
device. The over-fill prevention device will help to avoid propane
leaks that can cause fires and explosions. The new standard is
published by the National Fire Protection Association.
"CPSC worked with industry to develop this safety standard to
help prevent deaths and injuries," said CPSC Acting Chairman
Thomas Moore. "As people trade in their old propane tanks for
newer ones, we will see fewer fires."
Propane gas is highly flammable. Each year, about 600
fires/explosions occur with gas grills resulting in injuries to
about 30 people. The new safety standard for propane gas tanks
requires that an "over-fill prevention device" be
installed in new gas tanks. The new propane gas tanks have valve
handles with three "lobes" (prongs) while older tanks
have valve handles with five prongs. Beginning April 1, only the
new propane tanks will be sold or refilled nationwide. People with
older propane gas tanks will need to get the new, safer tanks when
they go in for a refill. While some dealers are trading in old
tanks at no cost, others may charge a fee, which could range from
$10 to $20.
An additional industry standard (adopted in 1995 at the urging of
CPSC) provided for several safety features in the gas grills,
hoses, and connections. The safety standard calls for a device to
limit the flow of gas if the hose ruptures; a mechanism to
shut-off the grill if it overheats; and a device to prevent the
flow of gas if the connection between tank and grill is not
leak-proof. People who have grills that do not meet the 1995
standard should either get a new grill or be especially attentive
to the safety tips below.
Here are some safety tips to reduce the risk of fire or explosion
with gas grills:
- Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes, and
leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or
- Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and
dripping hot grease.
- Always keep propane gas containers upright.
- Never store a spare gas container under or near the grill or
- Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near
- Never keep a filled container in a hot car or car trunk.
Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open
the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
- Make sure your spark ignitor is consistently generating a
spark to create a flame and burn the propane gas. If the flame
is not visible, the heavier-than-air propane gas may be
escaping and could explode.
- Never bring the propane tank into the house.
Charcoal Grill Safety Tips
Charcoal produces carbon monoxide (CO) when it is burned. CO is a
colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in
closed environments. Each year about 17 people die as a result of
CO fumes from charcoal being burned inside. To reduce the risk of
- Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents, or
- Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation
- Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is
completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with
freshly used coals.
In 1996, CPSC revised the label on charcoal packaging to more
explicitly warn consumers of the deadly CO gas that is released
when charcoal is burned in a closed environment. The new label
reads, "WARNING ... CARBON MONOXIDE HAZARD ... Burning
charcoal inside can kill you. It gives off carbon monoxide, which
has no odor. NEVER burn charcoal inside homes, vehicles or
tents." The new label also conveys the written warning
visually with drawings of grills inside a home, tent, and vehicle.
The drawings are enclosed in a circle with an "X"
For Hotels and Resorts looking for more safety
information go to Hotel Fun 4
Kids Program, Products and Services for Hotels and Resorts
Other Safety News See:
Danger of Entrapment in Automatic Security Gates
Tips for Making the Most of Summer
Safety News - Summer Safety Warning - Press Release from Consumer Product Safety Commission
Pools and Parasites- Keeping Your Child Safe - The Children's Digestive Health and Nutrition Foundation (CDHNF) Warns Parents about Dangerous Waterborne Bacteria and Parasites Peak During Late Summer
To view Hotel room Safety Tips Click Below:
See the following sections for other travel news about
First Aid Safety Tips
for Managing an Emergency Click Below:
For Playground Safety News Click Below:
For Balloon Safety Click Below:
For Beach/Pool Safety News Click Below:
For Crayon Safety Click Below:
For Car Safety News Click Below:
For Bike and Bike Helmet Safety News Click
For Crib Safety News Click Below:
For Airplane Safety Click Below:
For Helmets for Skiers and Snowboarders
For Skiing Safety Click Below:
For Safety News for Children's Clothing Click Below:
For Scooter Safety News Click Below:
Back to Travel